Re: Air Gap MOT Reactor

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Guys!

The charging reactor has to have an airgap, to insure that the core
doesn`t saturate from the DC component.
It also has to have many turns, to posess enough inductance.
Like greg has been saying all over, and Richie has recently elaborated
about, 5 henries is good.
The secondaryes of my "Porkchop" transformer measure 11 Henries in free
air. They are 10000 turns jobs.
Http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/pig/trafo.jpg
So a reactor that has 5000 turns seems like a very good ballpark number
to start with.
I would think that a MOT secondary is around 2500 turns, and considering
that it is a bit smaller than the porkchop coils, I guestimate that 3-4
MOT secondaryes in series would land at 4-7 henries.

Mount them in a small kitchen polypropylene storage container, submerged
in transformer oil, and I can`t se why it shouldn`t work. No iron core
to mess things up.

But the main point is that you really need a 3-phase supply to make it
_really_ smart.

Cheers, Finn Hammer