Re: VTTC operation, questions

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Shad:
I couldn't agree more with the  suggestions that you look in Sam's and The
Radio Amateur
Handbook . Both are excellent sources.  As I understand it you are looking
for circuitry for
what they would probably call a "CW transmitter.". (CW = continuous wave).
Don't expect to
find construction details for something operating at TC frequencies.  They
will talk about
frequencies from above 1.5 MHz. to around 144 MHz.  Also, the power input,
for Hams,  was
limited by law to 1 KW.

Since you are building around the 833-A it would be well to get a
specification sheet for
that tube.  It will give you the typical operating conditions for  the tube
being operated in
CW service as a Class C amplifier.  Just remember, you will need a driver
for the 833-A.
It would have to put out enough power to drive the grid of the 833-A.  The
driver stage might
be driven by an oscillator operating at the frequency of the TC.  It might
even be possible
to use your signal generator to drive a lower power stage and do away with
the oscillator
stage.  Pulse modulation , keying, of one of the low power stages is much
easier than doing
so at the 833-A grid.  One particular tube configuration that comes to mind
is typical of
some transmitters I have seen.    6V6 oscillator, 813 driver, 833-A final.

My guess is that the two biggest problems you will have is the power
supplies, yes, more than
one, and winding the coils for the tuned circuits between the tubes.  You
have an interesting
project and I wish you luck.

Ray