From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 10:57 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Triggered Gap

Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>

A few questions about triggered gaps:

1. Does the triggered gap have to be powered up at exactly the same time as
the coil?
2. Did anyone ever decide if it was safe to operate the dimmer while the
coil was running
3. Is the control circuit for the gap absolutely necessary/does it increase
performance?
4. I saw Mark's gap b/f the big discussion on the list and I saw the
original diagram with a 12 uf cap (Or something around there) so I got a
motor run capacitor rated at 15 uf, now people are saying to use something
around 2 or 3 uf, will my large size be a problem?

-----------Not related to triggered gaps-----------

I have seen people recommend putting safety gaps across the transformer, the
capacitor, on the nst protection circuit, all over the place. Is there any
disadvantage to having a large number of safety gaps, or are the two in the
nst protection circuit all you need?
I have all of the parts from digikey that terry has on his circuit, but I
can't seem to find the safety gap parts, Where do you get the standoffs?, I
am assuming that the other part is just a bolt with an acorn nut on the end,
please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

CJ