How to explain what a Tesla coil is....

Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

    Hi all, \

    This has been my biggest problem when I go up to my Parents house, or to
visit my Grandmother. I try to explain, but I start off wrong, or I just am not
making sense. I am the only one in my entire family with interests such as
coiling. Granted, I knew nothing about them either a year ago, but as soon as I
found out such a thing could be fabricated I had to investigate. What might be
a good way to explain in a paragraph or two what a Tesla coil is and does? Is
it important to explain anything about Nic. Tesla and how it all started or
should I keep it real basic. Remember that my Dad is a truck driver, my Mom has
been a housewife for 30 some years, as well as my Grandmother. I even need a
simple way to explain to my Brother who is a father of three boys and works in
the shipping dept. of a CNC machine shop. Just to give you an idea what I have
to deal with.
    Thanks for any input, I already tried to fumble my way through it.
Bob Bozarth