Re: Mystery Caps

Original poster: "Kristian Ukkonen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kristian.ukkonen-at-iki.fi>

Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <marco.denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>
> you may (or may not) know that Nokia (the mobile phone brand, 38% of
> sale shares) is a finnish company, not japanese, norwegian or whatever.
> Nokia took its name from a finnish city named Nokia itself (what a
> fantasy). Now, there is a company making capacitors located in Nokia as
> well, and its name is "Nokian Capacitors", of course.

btw: Nokia has manufactured anything from toilet paper
to rubber boots - mobile phone technology just was
their way to international fame.

> > Original poster: "Mike Kiser by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <clic-at-kiva-dot-net>
> > I recently came across 11 capacitors that I can't find details on. Can
> > anyone out there help with this? The tag on them says "NOKIA", "MKO 20
> > 480", and "D3880". They are in a white plastic can 2.2"diameter X 4.8"
> > long with 2, 14ga leads exiting through epoxy near the center of one
> > end. They were in steel boxes (3 per box) surrounded by granular
> > material similar to vermiculite but have a tan color. The boxes had
> > labels (which I stupidly didn't copy!) that said something about
> > "metalized dry film" and "self-healing." There was also something like
> > "5KVAR, 480V" and "Insulation rating 10KV". My guess is that these were
> > meant for a 480V 3-phase device of some kind but I would like to know if
> > they have any coiling application.
> > Thanks in advance,

Compensation capasitors. The KVAR rating is the indication of that.

  Kristian Ukkonen.