Re: Very high frequencies

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/12/01 6:39 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
> Hi Robert
>
> I seem to recall that as the frequency of an AC current in a conductor
> increases, the resistance of the conductor will increase. At super high
> frequencies, a conductor will essentially become an insulator. But I'm not
> sure if this is true.
>
> Godfrey Loudner

Your quest is correct with qualifications, as frequency increases to the
point that the conductor measures 1/4 wave lengths of the frequency a
conductor is a short and an open circuit. That is what makes a wave guide
work. The condition is not contiguos along the conductor, but a local
condition of the spot you are looking at the tine.
   Robert  H