Re: new to the hobby

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Chris, Gary, All
In a message dated 12/15/01 12:45:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Home made capacitors for Tesla coils are now rarely made from rolled
> plastic, as this is construction is very labor-intensive, bulky, and nearly
> always eventually fails.  While most literature more than a couple of years
> old discuss rolled plastic caps, most hobbyists now use MMC's

1. This could be very much like the endless debate between the guy who designs
and builds his stereo system from wire and parts, the guy who assembles a
system using off-the-shelf units, and the guy who buys a plug and play sound
system.
2.  One of my neighbors just bought a new Harley with more bells and whistles
than most luxury sedans. Another guy, about five miles from here is building a
motorcycle, starting with both sand and wax castings of engine parts.
What's better depends on your objectives. I think they are all equally happy
with their hobbies.
Likewise, coiling is not a monolithic hobby with a single objective, or a
single path even to the same general objective.

Matt D.