Streamer Behavior vs BPS

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Coilers,

While making a series of measurements on my twin 4 x 23 TC, I noticed an
interesting behavior of the streamers at different BPS.  I use a couple of
wires (breakout points) extending beyond the toroids about an inch to
encourage the streamers to stay between the two toroids while doing
measurements.  These observations were for breakout wire spacing of 48
inches.

At BPS of 300 to 500, all streamers stay between the two breakout points.
But at BPS of 200 or less, the streamers branch out in many directions from
each toroid as well as from the breakout wires.  I suppose it has something
to do with the arc channels deionizing more completely between bangs and
starting a new random path.  But it is very interesting how the breakout
points become less effective at the lower BPS rates.  Comments welcomed.

--Steve Young