Re: TSG + Ignition Coils - was Ed's Quadrac Driver

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

> Ed, All
>
> Does this mean that I can use a single, standard, ignition coil for TSG
> duty, or should I still use a couple?  (I'd uncan them, wire them in
> parallel/series and pop them in a new oil bath together).
>
> Obtaining HEI coils here (Oz) ain't easy, whilst I can get the standard
> ones locally for 15AUD each.
>
> If anyone is running a TSG with a standard, straight-core, ignition
> coil, I'd be interested to hear their experiences.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew Smith

	Sure the standard coil will work to trigger the spark gap.  The GMHEI
coils are of interest to those idiots who like to get nice long sparks!
Can't see any reason to series coils for the trigger job; the reason for
doing that is just to get twice the spark length out of coils which
individually have limited breakdown capabilities.  By the way, if you do
try to series anything remember that the LV end of the secondary has low
insulation strength to ground, so you have to have the high voltage
between the two high-voltage terminals, which means they are floating
with respect to ground.  You can't hook anthing with low insulation to
ground on the HV terminals.

Ed

P.S. No insult to Terry intended.  He appears to hold the record for
long sparks out the GMHEI coils, although in a more unconventional mode.