Re: Considering Upgrading to Pole Transformer

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

I finally got my 10kVA pig yesterday for free. It is an 11kV unit (the
only kind widely available in Australia). I am using two 140amp arc
welders in parallel for ballast, and I can say that the ballasting
is "smooth as silk" I didn't have a single problem. One problem I am
having is that my gap is not good enough at quenching and I tend to get
big flamy "jacobs ladder" type arcs if I turn up the current too much.
The capacitors don't even get charged and the coil sits there doing
nothing. I can't believe the current these things make! I was able to
pull a 2' arc (Total length, not point to point) directly off the pig.
Another thing I love is the incredible hum the pig makes as I wind up
the variac.......

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,