Re: DC power supplies etc.

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> USA Manufacturing Surplus (http://www.usamfg-dot-net/) has microwave oven caps
> (2100 VAC or about 3 KV DC at 1 uF) for 50 cents each which is a good deal.
> Look in their on line catalog under capacitors.  They also have some 1500
> volt 3 uF caps for 50 cents.  At these prices, you can gang a bunch of them
> in series/parallel for DC power supply use.
> --Steve

    That's a pretty good price, I might look into buying some of those.  Do
you know of a manufacturer
that sells good quality diodes at those prices?
    There is also an issue with the oven caps as filter devices.  They are
great for doubling
purposes, but the filter capacitors need to handle the full voltage of the
power supply--12kv or so.
To get a capacitor of the required voltage and with sufficient ripple
reduction (say 10uf) you would
need... 216 capacitors.  Thats $108.
    --Mike