Re: What it all does..

Tesla list wrote:

<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> Pjj, they sell small TC's called 'kicker coils' the plug directly into the
> wall.  The one I had was rated at 40W.  It produced about a one inch
spark and
> are used to test for leaks in glass welding by putting the 'inside' of the
> piece to be tested under a vacuum.  The sparks are drawn to any leaks because
> they are drawn to the rarified air.  I have also seen them used as a
means for
> igniting plasma torches.
> Mike

	These coils are what I would call "buzzer" coils; they have no spark
gap.  They have a buzzer-like magnetic circuit with vibrating armature.
When the contacts close current flows from the line into the coil, where
it is stored in the magnetic field.  When the contacts open they charge
a capacitor which is in series with the primary of the HV coil.  When
the contacts close again  the capacitor is discharged through the
primary creating the HV output.  I have one built in 1916, which has the
coil separate from a package with the buzzer circuit in it.  Still works
fine!

Ed