Re: Undesired "effect" with saltwater caps

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>
>

> Another question:  suppose I test a SW cap at room
> temperature and find it
> to be 740 pF.  Now let's say I
> fire up the tank circuit for 30 seconds.  How much
> would you guess (it can
> be a very wild guess, now) that
> this capacitance will change??  Enough to require
> adding / removing a cap?
> Pretend that my SW caps will not
> shatter (I know they might :-0 ).
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

My experience with SW caps has been entirely different
from yours. I haven't had any problems. I've run with
various power supplies, including a 15kv and 9kv NSTs,
a 12kvdc MOT supply, and an 11.5kv pole
transformer...no unwanted arcs or sparks. However, I
use a conservative gap spacing as well as safety gaps.

I've found my SW cap bank value to be quite stable
over the long haul. It holds right at 81nF regardless
of the temperature. I have not had to do any
maintenance at all after several months of on & off
usage.

Look them over sometime at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

Merry Christmas,