Impedance change in SST Magnifier

Original poster: "John Tomacic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla_ownz_u-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi everyone, Happy Holidays!!

I have a question about an observed impedance change in the operation of my
soild state magnifier coil. While operating in CW and interrupt modes the
impedance of the coil was constant at Fres for various power input levels
below 3 Kwatts. I changed the drive transformer to increase the power to the
magnifier coil to about 3.7 Kwatts based on the previously measured
impedance.  Everything was as expected in CW operation, with the impedance
constant as with lower power levels.  However, when running the coil in
interrupt mode, at Fres, under certain conditions (ingterrupt duty cycle
about 30%, frequency 107 Hz)the impedance of the magnifier dropped to less
than half of what it was before, then slowly oscillated between the two
values at about one to 3 hertz.  At this low impedance level the controller
was pumping about 10 K watts peak into the magnifier, producing 24" arcs to
a hand held aluminum rod (see picture attached).  Does anyone have an
explanation as to what's happening, and has anyone else observed this?

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/DSC00008m.jpg

John Tomacic