RE: Neon Sign Transformers (was: spark length formula needed*)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Jim, All -

Your description of the NST as being "a big inductor in series with the
output" is a good one. In my tests the NST output load was an RC circuit. I
don't have my notes handy but the load was one that had small resistance and
large capacitive reactance. In other words very low power factor. The input
on the other hand had very good power factor, that is a low resistance but
also low reactance.

I believe that the above tests are an interesting representation of the
typical TC system using HPF NSTs. Of course the intermittent operation and
resonance is missing, however, the power factors and VA relationships can be
studied. It appears that some coilers have already looked into this aspect
of coiling. It should be noted that the real part of the secondary current
has a big effect on the spark length. In other words a high power factor is
better. But how do you achieve this in the design of Tesla coils?

I was also thinking about your comment regarding the primary circuit, that
is, that it "is outside the LC loop (secondary)".  This means that if the
NST was a 1:1 transformer (120 volt primary and 120 volt secondary) the
total current in the primary circuit could be less than the total current
circulating in the secondary circuit. In my tests the voltages were not the
same so the differences in VA involved both voltages and currents. Has any
coiler ever checked the power factor of both the primary and secondary
circuits of a TC at the same time?

John Couture