Re: changing capacitance

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "master koola by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<masterkoola-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I was wondering if you wired capacitors in sires would there be more
>capacitance totaled for them all? Sorry about my ignorance in these things.
>thanks for any help.
>

>                                     christopher

Hi Christopher...

the value of the caps in series ( total value) will lower due to a
division factor but the good part is that the overall voltage handling
level increases in a multiplecation factor ( if all caps are the same
value and size)

I have yet to find sufficient info ( formulas) on putting caps of
various sizes and voltages in series and finding the overall rating .....

for example you have 4 caps rated at 10KV -at- .1uF  all put in series you
end up with a "cap" with a value of  40KV -at- .025uF

if you put these same caps all in paralell ,the uF's all add up and the
voltage handling capacity stays the same....    sooo  you end up with
 10KV -at- .4uF worth of "cap".

Scot D