Re: phase locked loop SSTC

Original poster: "John Tomacic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla_ownz_u-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Paul,
Your question made me rethink the problem through and I realized that I made
an assumption which may not always be true. I always operate my coil just
below resonance or at resonance, so an increase in current amplitude would
mean that the comparator would drive the VCO input voltage lower, lowering
the frequency to compensate for the increase in current.  However, if the
VCO frequency is driven higher than the resonant frequency, the current
signal will decrease, not increase, causing the lack of direction problem
you mentioned.  In this situation the phase reversal associated with the
transition from capacitive reactance to inductive reactance could be used as
a direction signal (via the D FF Malcolm mentioned).  Sorry for the
confusion, I guess I spoke too soon (not the first time, or last!)

John

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com