RE: Neon Sign Transformers (was: spark length formula needed*)

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

>Malcolm -
>
>My notes will be available in a few weeks and I will put them on the List. I
>believe these NST tests are an important part of learning about Tesla coils.
>The tests involve the effects of the power factors of AC loads which can
>sometimes be confusing. For example, I have checked small AC motors with no
>load currents that are larger than the full load currents. This is due to
>the poor power factor of the motor at no load.
>
>  The overall power factor of the load is very important to electric utility
>companies. In fact they will charge you extra if your load causes their load
>to have a poor power factor. Of course even the largest Tesla coil is not
>important to a utility because of the short time it is in use, however, the
>transients could be a problem for utilities.
>
>John Couture
>
>-

John, List,

I can tell you from experience that transients can be problems for
neighbors on the same power loop.... I had my neighbor come knocking
one day after a new coil had apparently caused his alarm clock to
activate, cable box to click on and off, etc. I ended up running the
coil for him and he thought it was great. The meeting did prompt me,
however, to find out why my corcoms were not pulling their weight.
Now we are all happy, after I ran a dedicated ground for them.

Gregory