Re: Ancient Rectifiers

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi All!
>
> Does anyone have knowledge of/remember/ever seen large rectifier tubes
> (~12in. high) with screw bases like a lightbulb? I know they are rated >100
> kV with 6.3 v / 6 amp filaments. Two are VR-17C, one is a VR-6-CFR and one is
> a Machlett ML-46-E. Other than the fact that they are of great vintage (like
> me) and from old X-ray machines, I can find no other data. Thought they might
> make a heckacious full-wave bridge. Any help out there?
>
> Matt D.

	I would suspect that those tubes use pure tungsten filaments, which
means that you wouldn't be able to draw much current through them and
that the voltage drop would be very high.  Solid-state rectifiers are
probably a better (and much smaller) way to go.

Ed