how much power do you need?

Original poster: "Pholp Smiff by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kawanze-at-hotmail-dot-com>

i sent this message a while ago but it never seemed to get posted. anyway...

How big of a transformer/power source do you need to get nice arcs that you
can actually see during the day and are relatively thick. I don't mean in
broad daylight, but streamers that are visible without the environment
having to be pitch black. My first coil was 12kv-at-60ma and at first i didn't
think it was working, until the sun started to set and i realized that there
actually were faint streamers coming off the top.

How do MOTs compare to NSTs for this purpose?

thanks -

Phillip smith (baton rouge,LA)