Re: Ryan's Coil is Working. :)

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>

> ballast.  The only
> problem is that the MOTs get VERY hot after just a
> very short run.  Each
> (1200w) MOT should only see about 10 amps in their
> current configuration,
> but they're still smoking after 20 seconds.  I'm
> sure it has something to
> do with them all not being the exact same power
> level. :-)

Ryan,

Try running them under oil.  This will extend your
duty cycle considerably.  A single .50 caliber ammo
can (available at any Army surplus store, junk shop,
pawn shop, flea market, etc.) will hold all four MOTs.
 Cover them with transformer oil, farm tractor
hydraulic fluid, or ordinary motor oil.  My twin MOT
ballast has the MOT primaries drawing about 20A.
Without the oil, they got hot as branding irons. In a
steel ammo can with 3 quarts of motor oil, they barely
warm the container in a whole evening of photography
runs at 4400VA.

Cheers,

Greg
www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla