PT CURRENT LIMITING QUESTION!

Original poster: "Drew Murray by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <drewallmighty-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello all,
I have a big question about potential transformers, but first I will tell
you my story. My first transformer was one of five oil burner ignitors that
i paid ten dollars for. I was running my coil with no safety gaps or
anything. I have since blown every one of the OBITs. All that is probably
wrong with them is that they need to be depotted, but i don't feel that it
is worth it. They are now serving as nice heavy boat anchors. I am getting a
potential transformer on tuesday and i will need a way to limit the current
flowing to it. The word ballast has also popped up in documents about this
subject which i have read, and it makes me wonder. Can flourescent lamp
ballasts be configured to serve as ballasts for PTs? I have also heard
mention of MOTs being used to limit current to PTs. I don't have any MOTs
nor is there anywhere local that i can get them, (unless i pay a rediculous
amount of $$$ for new ones). I do have 312kg of small to medium sized step
down transformers ranging from 20g to 6kg in weight. Most are 115v - 12v
transformers from radios and stereos. I have a few really big ones that were
from a huge, i mean monsterous, vacuume tube oscilloscope.
     I have thought about the similarities between these transformers and
MOTs. I think that they are built the same but just use different winding
sizes and guages of wire. Is it possible that i can use these transformers
to ballast a small Potential Transformer? If so, how would i configure them?
Please help.
                                                      Up here in Canada,
                                                      Drew Murray