Re: 3 Phase - again

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

DAVID,
if a three phase grid happens to be running by your home, and as someone
has said you can show a definite usage over time, a residence can be
connected for three phase service. many years ago i looked into getting
three phase here on the farm, i was told then that the power company
would only carry the grid 1500' up my road unless i could get three
residences within 100' to also get connections. since i am 3200' from
the grid and the third party at that time was 2000' away, the cost would
have been great at the then charge of $5.00 a foot for everything over
1500'.
in doing some residential work, our company has installed much three
phase for things like hvac, freezers, shops, compressors or anything
really. i asked the boss about it and he said that he had even seen a
large three phase range unit and a house that used three phase electric
heat. this started an argument about how a heater could be three phase
if even in three lighting isn't really three phases at once, but that's
another story.
so you see if it is available at minimal cost for installation, it can
be more economical in the long run.
now that more "city people" have moved into my area, i may try to get
the grid run down my road again. of coarse anyone that would like to
experiment with three phase can do the three phase motor driven by a
single phase motor trick. this seems to be a vastly being forgotten,
"poor mans inverter" that many farmers used in the past.
marc m.