Re: Spark Dissipation

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

> Hi Barry, Antonio et al!
>
> Date: 04 February 2001 04:14
> Subject: Re: Spark Dissipation
>
> >Original poster: "B2 by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>
> >
> >> I think that spark growth occurs at each cycle of the RF
> waveforms,
> >> and not at successive bursts, that are much farther apart
> >>
> >> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
> >
> >Hi Antonio, All,
> >    Measuring this would require damping the secondary to
> isolate singular
> >successively produced (by waveform source) pulses.  Can
> anyone think of a
> >way to do this?
>
> There's an experiment I've been meaning to try, but I've so
> much going on it would be better if someone in a position to
> do it does it before I get around to it, which could take
> ages at the present rate!  Wind a Tesla secondary from
> enamelled resistance wire.  That'll damp it down, and with a
> spark-driven system, the loss in Q need not be too damaging
> to performance, maybe also OK with "one shot" pulse systems.
> Though the output will be down, it ought still to be enough
> to make useful measurements.  I was intending to use
> constantan/eureka and get an unloaded Q of maybe 10 or less,
> which should be OK.  I dare say nichrome or any other
> resistance wire would do it, in my experience it's a big
> enough problem to find resistance wire with an insulated
> coat.  Iron wire would also do at a pinch, because of the
> big skin effect loss.
>
> Dunckx

Duncan and all,

Using fine magnet wire, space wound, might do the trick. Of course you
could also space wind uninsulated resistance wire, perhaps by using a
pre-grooved coilform, to avoid the need of using insulated wire. And as
you indicate, iron or magnetic steel wire should also work quite well,
and this wire CAN often be found with a protective coating.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering