Re: Spark gap not firing

Original poster: "Matus-at-snet-dot-net by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <matus-at-snet-dot-net>

> > Hi Michael,
> > It sounds here as if you have the coil wired wrong. connect the
capacitor in
> > parallel
> > with the NST.
>
> This is not right. The RSG should be in parallel with the NST. The cap
should
> be in series with the primary. It will work as you suggested, but you will
put
> the transformer at risk. Having the cap parallel with the transformer will
> cause the transformer to feel the full RF of each bang. By placing the RSG
> parallel with the transformer, the RF seen at the transfomer is greatly
> reduced. I beleive Greg L. stated the a reduction by a factor of 10:1.

I got that wiring configuration from
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/howworks.html#how  seemed pretty
valid to me.

> As far as Michael's problem, it may possibly be on which side of the cap
the
> RSG is connected. If the RSG is connected between the primary and cap then
he
> will get nothing.

Its between the cap and the transformer  I wish it would have been something
simple like that =)

Michael

The RSG should be connected between the cap and NST. (this is