Re: Awg formula, was "New formula for secondary resonant frequency"

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

<paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> Nope, the AWG sizes are fairly well defined, decreasing by a factor
> 1.122932 with each step. This factor is the sixth root of two,
> which means therefore that six AWG increments will exactly halve
> the wire size.

This was discussed in the list some time ago. I obtained the formula:
Wire diamater in mils for AWG "n" = exp(a*n+b)
Or: n=(Ln(diameter in mils)-bb)/aa;
Where:
a=-Ln(460/5)/39
b=(36*Ln(460)+3*Ln(5))/39
This is exact, by the definition of the scale. Use n below 0 as
negative.
1 mil= 0.0254 mm

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz