Joules I/P v SEC size

Original poster: "Paul Benham by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Paulb-at-woodanddouglas.co.uk>

Is there a general rule regarding what would be a sensible primary
capacitor energy level to aim for, for a given secondary size?

I am building my first coil, 60mm sec diameter, and the last thing I
want to do is to watch it go up in smoke because I have got a wee caried
away.  Equally, I do not want to be too careful such that for my torroid
size I do not get sparks to fly.

Cheers,

Paul Benham.