Re: multigap

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hello all,

While waiting for a motor to go Rotary Spark Gap, I thought I'd give the
multi-gap a try. The series of Tesla list e-mails on AMRAD multigaps etc.
was extremely helpful in this endeavor.  So I built a 6 gap unit using seven
50mm long pieces of 16mm copper tubing. I didn't seal any of to like the
AMRAD unit for the self quenching function.
The first thing I noticed was it worked much better than a single gap unit.
(longer sparks and less noise) I have been using it at flee power, 8kV 35mA
Neon xfmer,  so the heat on the gap is barely perceptible. How it would
stand up at high power is problematical. Anyway, the details are shown in

www.charles.a.hobson.btinternet.co.uk/multigap.gif

I would be grateful for any comments on it.  Thanks,  Chuck