Re: A 1/4 wave Tesla coil

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Skip,

Very interesting system - you've always liked large diameter resonators!
Sounds like your system is under powered, overcoupled, has too low a
resonator inductance, which is forcing you to use an inefficient
primary. Since you have a SRSG, the simplest change would be to go to a
larger tank cap (try going to a LTR cap) to increase the bang size.
However, before doing so, reduce the coupling, since you appear to be
near the limit for your system. Once you've got the system dialed in
again, you can then look at increasing the size of the toroid. I'd
increase the major diameter to at lest 35-40", and the minor to at least
10" (but you MAY need to add a breakout point). This should help drive
the secondary frequency down, and let you regain use of more primary
turns. However, you may need to drive it with more power to truly make
it sing.

The root cause of the problem is due to the relatively low secondary
inductance (for a resonator of this size) of about 79 mH which is
forcing you to use a relatively small primary inductance in order to
stay in tune with your reasonably sized tank cap. To improve the
system's efficiency significantly, you'd need to increase the number of
secondary turns so that you can increase primary inductance, thereby
lowering gap losses.

Good luck, Skip!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Skip Greiner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>