Re: Telsa Tornandos, was: Sword-like VTTC spark pics

In a message dated 2/8/01 7:06:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
>  Hi David,
>            I've seen the effect on spherical terminals only. I suspect
>  that the fact that a sphere is more or less symmetrical in three
>  spatial dimensions has a lot to do with it. Since the spark can only
>  leave from one point, a torus is unsymmetrical from the spark (and
>  hence airflow) point of view. A very interesting effect indeed.
>
>  Regards,
>  Malcolm

Malcolm, all,

Yes, the air may be sucked up from all around the sphere by the
hot top spark at the center, and this rising air, esp if it begins to rotate
for some reason... maybe due to air currents in the room, may
twirl and hold the spark compressed together like a true tornado.
Once the spark twirls, it may be self-perpetuating perhaps, by
affecting the airflow around and below itself, again like a tornado.
Thus the creation of the "spark tornado" or "spark whirlwind" effect.

John Freau