From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 6:09 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Superconducting 1/4 wave resonator

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Darren -
>
> Don't confuse this with Tesla coils. There are many electrical devices
that
> produce ultra high voltages. However, a Tesla coil is the only electrical
> device that produces ultra high voltages at ultra high powers. This is
best
> accomplished with dampened sine waves. We still do not know how to
optimize
> the parameters.

I'd say a Marx bank will generate higher voltages at higher powers than a
TC, if only because the stored energy "per bang" is higher.  A run of the
mill commercial testing Marx might be 100 kJ at 2 Megavolts, generating a
standard 1.2 rise/50 fall microsecond impulse. It's kind of an
approximation, but 100 kJ dissipated in 50 microseconds is a peak power of
2 GW.  And, of course, folks have built larger and higher voltage systems.
Maxwell Labs has a photo of a 10 MV pulser on the cover of their Marx
Generator brochure. I doubt anyone has built a TC that puts out 10 MV (the
topload would need to be around 3 meters in radius (minor dimension), and
probably much larger)