RE: [Fwd: Spark gap not firing]

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Ralph -

I have built and tested several TC's with the capacitor across the NST and
never lost a NST. I always used a protective spark gap across the NST output
as I show in my books. These protective gaps would operate once in awhile
during tests so a high voltage was never across the NST output. I do not
believe Terry's NST tests prove that the cap across the NST is more of a
risk than the gap across the NST.

Terry's test setup does show current spikes in the test circuit but high
voltage is what damages the windings and the curves  show only normal
voltages across the NST output. According to the List there have been many
NSTs destroyed that had the operating gap across the output. The TC primary
regardless of where the gap is located can have destructive voltages created
during operation and a protective gap across the output will keep these
voltages from shorting the windings.

John Couture