Re: Telsa Tornados, was: Sword-like VTTC spark pics - Here's a pic of a spri...

Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

Hi, A couple comments interspersed:

At 03:43 PM 2/9/01, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>In a message dated 2/8/01 7:07:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
>

> >  The link below is to a picture of my tesla coil in operation last
> Saturday.
> >  I think this big spark off the top might qualify. It certainly is fatter,
> >  longer and is corkscrew shaped. This is a typical air-cooled static spark
> >  gap coil using a 12" spun aluminum toriod.
> >
> >  http://home.pacbell-dot-net/garryfre/Tesla_010203-007.jpg
>
>Garry, David, Carl, all
>
>Garry, from what I can see of your photo, this does not seem to be
>quite the sprite-like coalesced spark type that has been refered
>to.  The spark has to be much tighter.... a single spike of light.
>I don't know if the time exposure is spoiling the look.  (maybe
>by eye... it looks correct?)   In answer to
>David's question.  I have heard of the corkscrew
>like sprite spark (in spark gap coils) forming only with spherical
>toploads.  It may be necessary to have a break rate of 300 or
>400 bps or higher also.
John, all, I have produced those "coalesced" type sparks using multi
Toroids of diminishing size stacked on top of each other, possibly close to
a sphere, spark had to discharge from the top for the effect (definite
thermal effect). I was using a static gap, three coil resonator.
Regrettably no photos...

>Carl, in a new test of my staccato tube coil, I directed the spark
>nearly horizontally, from a nail above the small toroid, and the spark looked
>the same as before, except for being nearly horizontal.  So it doesn't
>need the toroid below the spark to focus it, and it also doesn't need
>a vertical column of hot air or ionization.
The sword-like sparks do not seem to care about horizon, but I have also
had coils that would only produce a "feathery"  type spark and could never
get that sword-like effect.

>Did I mention on the list yet, that if I blow on the spark with a
>strong breath of air, the spark shortens by about 30%.  It then
>gradually lengthens again, but takes about 2 seconds to reach
>full length.  (this test was done with the vertical spark)
>
>John Freau

Interesting! I noticed that with a strong airflow the 90 degree spark
branching effect seems to come into effect (similar to spark coil at 60
PPS, Half-Wave rectified). It would be interesting to catalogue all of
these effects.

Regards,

David Trimmell