Re: Fw: Hood mounted tiny tesla coil?

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

The Group has kicked a similar idea around for months. Our idea was to mount
a coil on a pneumaticaly controlled elevated platform that would raise a 6"
coil through a sliding door in the top of a school bus. The coil could be
retracted while driving and raised for demonstrations at schools. This would
save a TON of work in setup. The power source would be a diesel generator
with the SRSG mounted on the generator input shaft so that they would remain
PERFECTLY locked in phase. You could have a complely portable coil system
that could be taken to schools and such for demos and not have to tap their
power or shutdown a ton of their computers. When we do demos at Boogies (the
local Cyber-cafe) we make them shutdown and completely unplug all their
computers (and every cable going into them, mouse, KB, etc...) as well as
their cash registers, mocrowaves, stereo, etc.. because the Group is liable
if we fry one of their computers (they have about 25) and it would be WAY
out of budget.
We've done several demos there and not killed a computer yet :) Though it's
a pain to do the setup, the Bus would solve a lot of this because we
wouldn't be on their power (or even the NPG) and the field drops off with
distance.

Ay, here's the rub.

1. For the coil to be visible it would have to be of decent size, a 2" tall
coil won't make visible sparks enough to attract attention.

2. With a hood mounting you're VERY close to the cars computers and they
will fry (We've killed computers in Geek-1 and you don't want to go through
replaceing it)

3. With this much HV in a metal shelled vehicle you can induce currents in
other places in the car, and run the dangers of sparks. An itty-bitty spark
in your gas tank, especially if it's half empty....and you get an E-Ticket
ride across town...right to the morgue.

4. What happens when it rains? You have to make the whole assemply
weatherproof....REALLY REALLY weatherproof.

5. What about the crap and corruption you will accumulate on the coil from
road grime, bugs, run-over-pedestrians...etc?

It can be done, but there's a LOT more to it than just building the coil,
we'd be happy to help if we can.

Have fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek