Tesla SRSG

Original poster: "Finn A. Amundsen by way of Terry Fritz <terry-at-hot-streamer-dot-com> by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <finnamund-at-sensewave-dot-com>

Finn is not on the list (yet) but he had this question he sent me that I
can't answer.  If anyone knows, you can write him direct at:
finnamund-at-sensewave-dot-com
-Terry
-----------------------------------

Hi!  This is a question from a coiler in Norway.  I have a Robbins & Myers
motor, (1/4 hp, 50/60 Hz, 2850/3450 rpm, 1,6/1,5A, 215V, Mod. KL-N330-BOL).
The cap. is missing.  Now I wonder; have you any idea what's the correct
connection of mains and the cap.?  There are 3 wires, blue, yellow and red.
Blue-yellow = 11 ohms, and yellow-red = 20 ohms, and of course, blue-red 31
ohms.  I thought blue-yellow was the run winding, but it will not start with
the cap. across yellow-red, only blue-red.  It will also run happily with mains
connected to blue-red, (both windings in series, not correct, I guess), and
cap. to yellow-red or yellow-blue, (changes direction with cap. to y-b.).   I
have tried caps from 2 to 22 uF,  what is the correct size??   It has not been
modified yet,  just thought I should make some initial measurements.  Another
cause of confusion:  Bill Wysock wrote in connection with the motormods. zip
file that: "cap. run motors are not suitable for this modification".  Others
say that cap. start / cap. run motors are the best types.   I am certainly in
need of some "deconfusification".  I also have a couple of  4 pole 1/4 hp
motors with cut-out switch,  but the R&M  is a very perfect sized  motor,  so I
will try this one first.   Well, its actually for my next coil, have to think a
little ahead.  My present coil is under construction,   I am just about to make
a new cap. (MMC),  glass and alu.foil cap. was cheap, but far from the best.
After a 4 mins. run, it was so hot I could not touch it, later a glass plate
even cracked.   Something had to be done.....

                                  Best regards

                                  Finn A. Amundsen

                                  Hellavn. 25

                                  N-3140 Borgheim