Re: VTTC output

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

> Hi all,
>
> Trying to maximize the output of my system, I'm wondering what
> the best methode could be. Pure observation by eye IMO is not
> exact enough, especially at daylight conditions. Is monitoring the
> value of the current flowing into the base of the secondary a better
> choice? Which methodes do you use?
>
> Some data of my system (please use constant distance font):
> tube            : 4PR1000
> plate           : 10 kV filtered dc
> screen grid     : up to 1000 V
> primary L       : 67 turns on 8" form
> primary C       : 714 pF
> secondary L     : 1370 turns on 4" form
> secondary C     : toroid/corona shield 1.18" x 6"
> sense resistor  : 5.1 Ohms between base of
> secondary and GND
> coupling        : secondary 1.2" above primary
> grid coil       : 8 turns on 8" form, 1.2" below primary
> grid leak R     : 30 kOhm
> grid leak C     : 3.7 nF
>
> grid current    : 10.6 mA
> grid voltage    : 320 V
> sense voltage   : 20 Vpp, sinusodial (!)
>
> The brush is about 15"long and very intensive blue, starting from a
> horizontal piece of rectangular aluminum sheet atop the toroid.
> Reason: The toroid is made from foam and covered with aluminum
> foil. Using a small discharge pin caused overheating and burned
> the toroid. I'd better made it from copper tube!
>
> Could I expect more output? At present primary (about AWG 15)
> and secondary (about AWG 26) barely get warm. Much space for
> improvements?!?
>
> Any advice is appretiated very much.
>
> Herwig

	You didn't mention plate current; what was it and what was the net
power input?  Likewise, what is the operating frequency and are you sure
primary and secondary tune to the same frequency?  Have you played with
the coupling?

Ed