Re: Lower secondary cself => better performance?

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm, All!

>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

<snip - good stuff BTW!>

>You can typically do a lot better - I have seen transfer efficiency
>for a single pri-sec energy transfer approaching 90% on a small coil.
>Whether that figure is degraded then depends on whether the secondary
>dumps its load in an (attached) output discharge at that moment ro
>whether pri-sec transfers continue which is the case for air
>streamers.

Now that I would never have expected!  You mean including
quenching/gap losses?  That's amazing.  But for a small coil, hmmm.

Nice to have your thoughts re changing one thing at a time.  Learned
that one the hard way in quite a few chemistry labs!  The problem of
course is that isolating the variables is often less than
straightforward.  I'm also curious as to why the quenching should have
become significantly harder with the increase in Ctop and Lp.  Could
it be that the energy is exchanged for a few more cycles between
primary and secondary before the surface gradient reaches breakdown
value, i.e. driving a larger load it ramps up more slowly?  That's
given me something to think about.

Dunckx