Re: Lower secondary cself => better performance?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Duncan,

On 15 Feb 01, at 18:10, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>
>
> Hi Malcolm, All!
>
> >Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
> >

> <snip - good stuff BTW!>
>
> >You can typically do a lot better - I have seen transfer efficiency
> >for a single pri-sec energy transfer approaching 90% on a small coil.
> >Whether that figure is degraded then depends on whether the secondary
> >dumps its load in an (attached) output discharge at that moment ro
> >whether pri-sec transfers continue which is the case for air
> >streamers.
>

> Now that I would never have expected!  You mean including
> quenching/gap losses?  That's amazing.  But for a small coil, hmmm.

Same applies to large coils according to scope waveforms. But ideal
transformers are lossless and the TC is just a transformer whose
worst losses happen to reside in the primary and more specifically,
the gap discharge if good quality conductors are used. Otherwise,
it's pretty much reactive.

> Nice to have your thoughts re changing one thing at a time.  Learned
> that one the hard way in quite a few chemistry labs!  The problem of
> course is that isolating the variables is often less than
> straightforward.  I'm also curious as to why the quenching should have
> become significantly harder with the increase in Ctop and Lp.  Could
> it be that the energy is exchanged for a few more cycles between
> primary and secondary before the surface gradient reaches breakdown
> value, i.e. driving a larger load it ramps up more slowly?  That's
> given me something to think about.

How quickly it rings up is a function of Fr and k. Lower Fr and/or k
= more time taken for a single transfer.

       I am being very wary in talking about quench and specifically
mentioned power arcs. I've found it's impossible to achieve a first
notch quench if the secondary is not allowed to break out *and
attach* without incurring serious gap losses. There is more than one
note from myself referring to this in the archives from a year or two
back, probably with quenching mentioned in the subject line. Power
arcing is something that can be controlled more easily though. I'm
not sure exactly why it was a bugbear in this case but the primary
losses were considerably lowered as I added around 50% more Lp in the
case referred to. Something about the altered primary dynamics has to
be the culprit. I can't see why the topload should have mattered.

      An expt worth doing for anyone who believes you can achieve
ideal gap quench: try it without allowing breakout and monitor the
results on the scope to make sure you've done it. I had to go to
extraordinary lengths to force my coil to do this. I ended up with
the primary gap discharge being blown into a (circular type) arc
several inches long. Compare your output to a grounded rod with and
without implementing these measures. I'd love to hear how others have
done it (if they have) and not lost any more power.

Regards,
malcolm