Re: S.s. info...re: differing secondaries

In a message dated 2/15/01 9:47:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  > Have you tried using a breakout point, or smaller
>  > toroids,
>  > to see what effect it has?  I seem to remember that you mentioned
>  > in the past that the sparks looked somewhat disruptive in
>  > appearance?
>  > They must be very fierce and thick though.

>  Breakout point?--no: I want to achieve the maximum voltage the 6 x 24
toroid
>  will accomodate.  "Disruptive"?--not sure I know what that means.

Ken,

I can understand that you want the voltage to built up as high as
possible, but I was curious if you actually compared the results
with and without a breakout point.  Things don't alway work as
we might expect, because of a possibly incomplete understanding
of the factors at work.  I would think you would want to at least try the
system with a breakout point for comparison.

By the term "disruptive" appearing spark, I mean a spark that looks like
the sparks from a spark gap TC, as opposed to a typical spark
from a tube coil or a SSTC.

You mentioned that a lot of folks might not be interested in building
your design because of the complexity and costs involved.  That is
true, however there may be folks who would be interested in seeing
the details, even if they don't actually build it.  This does not
necessarily mean they will pay for the plans, because I think a lot
of folks feel that there should be a free sharing of ideas and plans,
because of the hobby nature of the work.  I myself feel this way.
But I do believe you should do what *you* think is right regarding
charging or not charging for plans.  The more work you put into
making the plans detailed, and showing every dimension drawn with
perfect precision, etc, the more you will feel that you should be
compensated for your effort, does this seem true?  My approach has
been to draw
up my plans kind of roughly, and not spend a lot of time at it.  I'm
not one to obsess over every detail.  At least folks get to see what
I'm doing.  It is this sharing of ideas and plans that is is important
to me.  Details are good though, and important.  I tend to concern
myself with details when they matter, and not worry about them
when they don't matter.  Just another way of doing things.  But enough
of my rambling   :)

John