phase shifter with run-cap sync motors

All,

The remote phase shifter circuit is used to remotely adjust the
sync gap phasing of a sync rotary gap, using the simple twirl of
a variac dial.  The phase shifter circuit can be seen at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Alan Jones has made some valuable findings regarding the use of
the phase shifter circuit with run-cap sync motors.  Basically, for his
modified 1/8th HP motor, he needed no phase shift cap at all, just the
variac, and he obtained the full 90 degrees of electrical phase shift.
(That's 45 degrees of mechanical phase shift because it's an 1800
rpm motor).  His tests also suggest that the run capacitance, and
the phase shift capacitance can be traded against each other.  It
is unknown how other motors will behave.  Another interesting
finding is that the total capacitance needed is much less than I
would have expected for that motor.  I pasted an e-mail from Alan
below, which includes a more complete battery of his tests, and
more complete comments and conclusions at the bottom.  I know
from my own tests, that some run-cap motors do need the phase
shift cap, but it is interesting and important to know that some do not.

John Freau