Re: S.s. info...re: differing secondaries

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Richie-

comments from KCH interspersed...

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:22:04 -0700 "Tesla list"
<<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz
> <<mailto:twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<<mailto:R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for putting our minds at rest ;-)
>
> I was going to post you a question asking how you ensure that your
> driver
> locks on to the "Fundamental" of your resonator and not one of the
> higher
> "Harmonics" of the resonator.
>
> I guess your phase adjustment circuit performs a similar function to
> the
> tuned grid used by the tube guys ???   Does this ensure that the
> oscillator does not accidentally start at 3xF instead of the
> fundamental
> frequency ???

My phase adjustment has merely been a 0.15 uF capacitor to ground through which
the secondary current flows (with back-to-back diodes across it to limit the
voltage).  Following that, a few stages of linearly-configured CMOS logic ICs
for amplification, leading to the gated MOSFET-driving circuits.

But I have found, just today, that I seem not to have enough amplification when
using my 36" coil.  So I have to re-work that part of the circuit; and at the
same time, try to figure out a better, variable, phase-adjusting scheme to
accomodate various secondaries.

> Sorry for all the questions,  but I'm thinking of converting my SSTC
> so
> that it uses the primary current as the reference to switch the
> FETs.

Do you not mean secondary current?  You'd want the secondary's Fr to be the
determinant of operating frequency.

>                                                         Cheers,
>
>                                                         -Richie
> Burnett,
>
> > Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
> <<mailto:twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<<mailto:kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>