RE: Mot DC Ps

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi

When I looked at this the first time around I must have not been paying
close attention. I missed the connection between the two filter caps and the
lower two diodes. This is the same rectifier circuit used in the off line
rectifier in computer power supplies. When the connection is there, the
circuit is a full wave doubler and the lower two diodes do nothing. The PIV
rating of the diodes needs to be 2*1.4*VRMS. When the connection is not
there, the circuit is a full wave bridge rectifier with a PIV requirement of
1.4*VRMS. However in the diagram it shows two microwave oven diodes in
seriesed for each diode position, so you are covered there.

I tried a full wave doubler made with one MOT last summer. (6.5KV filtered
DC output) I first tried resistance between the PSU and the static gap, but
it burned up real quick. You need to have a lot of wattage for resistors to
work. Then I tried a charging choke made from the secondary and core of
another MOT, stripping several layers from the inside and the outside of the
winding to make room for insulation. It worked, but only a few seconds. I
suspect the choke ringing killed the diodes. Perhaps a charging choke with a
dampening resistor would work, and the filter can't hurt. (I didn't have one
on mine)

later
deano