A secondary caution...

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Esp. to those who might consider building a secondary coil along the
lines of my RECIPE posted in 8/00:

Although my original coil built using that "recipe" has been working
fine, I've found that the 2nd coil, having developed an internal h.v.
short, was pretty much of a mess when I unwound it of its wire.  Possibly
there had been a reaction between the (supposedly-acrylic) glue of the
sticky-tape I'd used and the subsequent perhaps-too-liberal application
of water-repellant.  At any rate, what I peeled off the Sonotube was all
tacky & obviously wholly unsuitable as a winding substrate.  So...kindly
reconsider my "recipe".

What I intend to try now, in order to re-do a space-wound configuration,
is to first wind on a layer of .06"-dia cotton twine, as I had done
before but .06" instead of .05", to provide a winding-track, then to wind
on over that a layer of .003" "Mil grade" teflon pipe-tape, and then the
wire.  The pipe-tape will be to lay down fuzzies from the cotton twine
and also to provide for a more temperature-resistant surface over which a
between-turn spark might occasionally pass, hopefully without deleterious
effect.

Comments, anyone?

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!