Re: Cap voltage - time

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/20/01 10:43:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "kevin wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
>
> thebiggiantkevin-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Could someone please give me the equation to find a caps exact voltage
> after
> a given charge time? Probably a basic equation, but I cant find it
> anywhere.
> Thanks

I think the equation you are looking for might be:
Vc=Vmax(1-exp(-t/RC))
where Vc is voltage on the cap, Vmax is the applied voltage, t is in seconds,
R is total resistance of circuit in Ohms, and C is capacitance in Farads.
This is when charging a cap from a constant voltage. For a varying input
voltage, things get much more complex, but if 1/4f >> t/RC I believe it will
work fairly well for the initial charging from an AC line also.
Matt D.