Re: mini coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/20/01 7:14:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "R Lunsford by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> Millipede-at-carolina.rr-dot-com>
>
> Hello,
> I am going to go miniature for a bit. I want to use my old bug zapper xfmr
> run a coil. Unfortunatly, I have no idea what the voltage or current on the
> secondary is.
> So, here is my dilema. I need to know if anyone has ever tried this...or a
> cheap way of checking the outputs so I can go ahead with this project.
> Thanks,
> Robert Lunsford

As a quick and dirty guesstimate, try drawing the largest spark you can
between the secondary leads. Then figure approximately 20kv/in of spark.
Next, check the power rating of the zapper, usually 35W-150W on the label or
on the box. Figure I~ P/E. With these ballpark numbers, you can select  the
proper meters/dividers to do fine-tune measurement.

Matt D.