Cap calculations

Original poster: "s. van de burgt by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <s.van.de.burgt-at-hccnet.nl>

Hello. I have a major problem. For one of my experiments I need to know the
exact capacity of a cap consisting of two big allumininum plates with air
between them.
The only known variables are the size of the plates and the distance between
them which I want to transfer into farads.
Furthermore I want to know the definition of one farad. Someone told me it is
the capacity of two plates sized one square meter and placed at one meter
distance. Is this true ?
Oh,  and one more thing: please make your calculations in cm and mm because I
am European and do not work with inches.

Sietze van de Burgt