Re: 4.5amp Variac good enough?

Hi Matt,

A 12000volt 30mA transformer can be rated in "VoltAmps" or "VA" which is the
measure used for such things.  You simply multiply the voltage and current.  so
your transformer is:

12000 x 0.030 = 360 VA

Your variac is the same idea so:

120 x 4.5 = 540 VA

So the variac has plenty of room to spare.  You will want about 90uF for a PFC
cap.  However, from the chart below, your tranny would run about 550 VA without
a PFC cap so you would still be close to fine.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTStudy/12-30.gif

You may note that variacs can be run at higher than recomended power too for a
short time as shown in figure "F" below.  A little fan helps a bunch too.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/VarBack.jpg

However, it is always best to run things within their ratings if you can...

Cheers,

        Terry