Re: thin wire

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Jason,
>
> I did some quick calcs and the wire would have to take 2.5 to 3 amps RMS with
> 15kVA in.  That suggests like 14 ga. wire (maybe 16 or 18 since there is a
> large cooling surface).  The high power folks can, and should, confirm my
> numbers here but I think #26 wire may fry.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry
>
> At 12:49 PM 1/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > How high of a bang size or overall power could 26 guage wire take on a
> > secondary?

snipperz,,,

I had ( i emphisize had) an 8" coil ( 8 x 32 lexan form #22 mag wire well
coated
with P/U)  that I ran on my 4 NST system with no problems ( 4 -at- 15KV 30mA
units)
but....  I tried to see if it would hold up to a piggie running 30A. It
worked for
about 2 hours total run time, then I started to see breakdowns in the lower 8 -
10" of the coil. The problem started with low end flashovers and eventually
some
serious arc overs...  then catastrophic destruction...  I eventually
rewound the
lower 10" with #16 mag wire and the lower end problems almost all went
away. there
are on a rare occasion light flash overs but not bad enuf to do any damage.
  Im
suspecting that the thicker wire handles the amperage in the lower end
better and
the recoat of PU must have increased the insulative properties a bit .

Scot D