Re: Battle of the Capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

>  Hi all,
>
>  Did an impromptu test over the holidays.  I have my polepig up and running
> on 120v (the 240v drop is coming along slowly), running ~2.5kva.  I'm using
> a 240bps sync gap, and an 8" coil.  Comparison was by the gap sound and
> streamer quality (length, power, etc)

>     So unless you luck up on a pro cap(s), go MMC!  The actual performance
> difference is nothing to write home about, and you end up with a cap that's
> easily stackable to whatever voltage/capacitance you need.  And once the
> 240v drop is in, we'll see how MMC's run at the multi KVA levels. (like
> 5-15+kva!)  I've got a polepig and a 60A breaker, and I'm not afraid to
> chunk 'er wide open!  =^))
> 															Shad

Robin Copini, who lurks about this list also, has run his MMC up to
22 kVA.. In addition, a couple of days ago we ran an old laptop up to
several kVA as well! If anyone is interested, wait for the article to
appear at www.tech-junkie-dot-com but remember that this is a computer
hardware site not a coiler site. There's already an article about
supercooling a PC motherboard with dry ice and running it, you'll find
at the end of that article some videos of my two 12-60 NSTs frying a
Voodoo III video card Jacob's ladder style =)

Catch ya,
Darren Freeman