RE: RadioShack

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Tim:
First, good luck on the Variac. Be sure it can handle enough current for
your planned coil and have a margin of error.

Let me let you and the others on the list in on a secret. Coiling isn't
cheap!!!
When I "did the math" and initially invested $100 for a 4 foot length of 6"
diameter Plexiglas and end disks, I knew I was making a commitment. I just
had no idea of how much of one. Today I use PVC. Much cheaper.

By the time I got through buying all the stuff (and I have all the receipts)
I had spent over $450!

Now that includes all new stuff like $140 plus shipping for a 15/60
Allanson. Even brand new HD Line cords. I spared no expense. I learned!
But the plywood, the copper tubes, the flex duct, 100 caps, and the Variac
and so on. It adds up believe me!

I frankly envy many on the list who manage to convince a local merchant that
they are needy and in return they walk away with great coiling goodies at no
charge. My hat is off to such people.
So, prepare your spouse for the budget dent and have fun...but be careful.

Safety First

Ted

-------------------------
Subject: Re: RadioShack

Original poster: "Tim by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<warpath-at-wtp-dot-net>

Hey Ted, Thanks for the info. I talked to my friend who has been in the
electronics bussiness for 60 years(an
original "coiler" by the way-he used static electricity for producing
bolts) and he has offered to get a variac
for about $75.00. He does bussiness with DIGIKEY and speaks highly of them
for supplies. I will check out your
source for the 28awg magnet wire. I believe that "coilers" have to be part
"junk collectors" and part
"detective" to do what we do. Well, my wife is home now so I have to go
"beg" for some money to buy these
supplies.Let's see-how do I justify making lightning bolts????????????????
Later, Tim